Friday, December 4, 2009

Thanksgiving

Hello everyone. Long time, no blog…. Woops!
I know this is late, but I just thought I would tell you how our Thanksgiving went. (For any Canadians reading, I am referring to American Thanksgiving, which takes place close to the end of November… I’m not that late.)
We hosted Thanksgiving at our house for all the Americans on staff with All Nations. (We let Stephen stay, and we had a few other nationalities too.) I felt like a real married woman since I was responsible for the turkey, chicken, stuffing, corn casserole, jello salad, and pumpkin pie.

This was my first time to cook a turkey, so I was a little nervous. But, you will get no funny pull out the fire extinguisher stories from me- my turkey turned out great. I wanted pumpkin pie with graham cracker crust, which sounds nice and easy- but not in Africa! There is no such thing as graham crackers, let alone a store-bought graham crust. And you can forget about pumpkin in a can. Here that easy sounding dessert requires the following steps:
1. Bake graham crackers
2. Boil pumpkin and puree
3. Crush freshly baked graham crackers
4. Make crust with crumbs
5. Mix up your pie filling, pour in pie crust, and bake!
What we Americans will do to have good pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. Love to all from SA!
Tricia

2 comments:

Lowell & Julie said...

Sounds fun! We had a very similar experience last year in NZ. No Graham crackers, and no canned pumpkin. Sooooo... upon my brilliant Mother's suggestion, I crumbled up ginger cookies for the crust, and Lowell and I had fun steaming/pureeing a few pumpkins together. The final product was super tasty!
PS- Now that you have demonstrated your talent, be prepared to be responsible for many holidays to come:)

Anonymous said...

Tricia, it looked like everything was fabulous! I would definitely be making a regular crust instead of graham cracker if it was me, though. Congratulations on a successful Thanksgiving!